What a week it has been over here at The Carefree Couple HQ (A tiny caravan in the corner of a car park). This week we’ve celebrated our 2 year ‘leaving home’ anniversary, promotions at work and last but not least our first award! Very exciting times indeed.
Thank you so much Jill-Joy Landburg who founded victuals.me blog. It’s an innovative one stop shop for culinary news and a digital version of a magazine based in South America:
“Victuals.me is the digital news version of the Culinary Magazine: Victuals. The magazine is bilingual with recipes from Chefs in Suriname, articles about culinary etiquettes, health, restaurants, food cultures and more.”
Here’s one of their latest posts about a Thai Restaurant that’s a really great read!
We feel your nomination has given us an extra boost to achieve our goals and really made us feel like our endless late nights typing and editing are beginning to pay off!
Click here for ALL details regarding the Liebster Award.
Fun to know:
Liebster translated into Dutch (our native tongue) & Sranan (our street language – the Surinamese Language):
- Dutch: liefste, mooiste, geliefde, heerlijk, aardig, aangenaam, gewaardeerd, schattig, liefdevol
- Sranan: Moro moy wan, moro lobi wan, lobiwan, switi , switi maniri, switi, kisi lespeki, nanga furu lobi
So, having been nominated, bellow are the list of questions designed for us by Jill-Joy, and our answers!
- Given the choice of anyone in the world whom would you want as a breakfast/lunch/dinner guest and why? Right now, family and friends without a doubt. I’s been 2 years since we left home and to have a meal with these guys would be like winning the lottery.
- Onions or Shallots? Shallots of course! We make our specialty pickled shallots for Christmas presents to family and they go down a treat.
- Give a tip for other bloggers or potential blog starters: Don’t wait too long to go live. Once you go live the rest will follow. There’ll always be improvements so don’t wait for it to be perfect.
- What is your favorite dish? Good ol’ Full English breakfast.
- Which recipe do you think is the most difficult to make and have you tried it? (add a picture) Gravy! It’s always lumpy 🙁
- If you can take someone with you in your travels, who would it be? Again, we must refer back to Question 1 and choose Mum’s and Dad’s. To pick just one would be an impossibility.
- Give a travel tip for Foodie travelers: Try everything you see! The proof is in the pudding.
- What is the best restaurant to visit in your city/country? (one restaurant only) This has to be The Fat Duck. Voted the best restaurant in the WORLD, we really couldn’t pick any other. Regrettably we’ve never eaten there ourselves, one day though!
- Do you think fine dining is too expensive? For us budget travelers it is. However, here in New Zealand we found a great website called First Table, pay $10 and get 50% off the entire bill!
- Whole Foods or any kind of food? We love our whole foods!
- Have you ever visited a restaurant just because you saw it in a book/magazine/online/series/movie? What was that place? We’d read about a secret bar in Thailand and just had to pay it a visit. Accessed only by entering a secret pass code in a fake phone box, the Havana Social is a quirky bar found down a dirty back alley of Bangkok which plays Latin Music… of course!
Who we are nominating:
- Jim Jones, writer of travelstoriesandimages. Jim writes a travel blog and has some great articles on Africa and travel tips. He also has great eye for photography.
- Patrik Lord founder of lord.se. A photographer and traveler who’s also speaking about minimalism which is awesome 🙂
- Megan, the creator of theweewanderlost blog. Having lived in a lot of the featured destinations, Megan gives a unique insight into the the ‘little things, full of big ideas’ and where you can find ‘the everyday magic’.
- Fellow couple travelers Kula and Christian who have created acoupleonabudget. Featuring articles about various destinations, travel tips and great information on conscious travel which is brilliant.
- Wonu Johnson from lostndelirious.com. As well as awesome Harry Potter references, the blog is well written and includes some interesting media like a poem and video to match!
- Rowena from anomadontheloose. Featuring an emotional article about a personal encounter with a woman from North Korea, along with great photography and interesting destinations.
- Josh from cartographyandcloture. Another travelling couple featuring witty travel guides and even better photos.
- Shruti from mewanderlost who writes about India and shares thoughtful insights into tourism there. Some great travel advice can be found also, for example, how to travel Bhutan and how to get more from you time in Goa which is similar to our own experience.
- Phil & Nathalie from marquestra, another excellent travel blog written from the perspective of a free spirited midlife couple. This blog is packed full of practical information, stories and itineraries.
- Liz from coasterportfolio. Liz writes quality posts about the US with emphasis on the East and West coats. A quote I love from her blog … “The scenic route, although usually longer, is always the better route to take” and has inspired our 7th question.
Here is what to do when you get nominated for a Liebster award.
Our questions to you should you chose to accept this award:
- If you could only eat 1 cuisine for the rest of your life what would it be and why?
- What was the most exhilarating thing you’ve ever done?
- Whats your favorite off the beaten path destination?
- What inspired you to start blogging?
- Whats your favorite book you’ve read or movie you’ve seen so far this year and why?
- Name a guilty pleasure.
- Would you rather take a First Class flight or the rough scenic route?
- Whats your next destination going to be and why?
- What advice would you give to starting bloggers?
- And finally, tea or coffee?
So congratulations everyone! We can’t wait to read your blog posts 🙂
Thank you so much once again Jill-Joy Landburg for nominating us for this awesome award. We’re truly thrilled!
Good luck everyone and happy blogging 🙂